How Does CheckArmor® Work?
*CheckArmor is included with eligible personal check orders starting January 2018 and with eligible business check orders starting July 2014
CheckArmor resolution specialists are trained to act as resolution agents and manage the CheckArmor resolution process. CheckArmor resolution specialists are Certified Identity Theft Risk Management Specialists (CITRMS) certified by The Institute of Consumer Financial Education. Additionally, CheckArmor is a member of the following:
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - World's largest anti-fraud organization and premier provider of anti-fraud training and education.
- International Association of Financial Crime Investigators - A nonprofit international organization, that provides services and an environment within which information about financial fraud, fraud investigation and fraud prevention methods can be collected, exchanged and taught for the common good of the financial payment industry and our global society.
- Identity Management Institute - International organization established to redefine and promote the identity management field, serve identity management professionals, increase identity risk awareness, and provide identity risk management standards, guidelines, certifications, and education.
1. The Institute of Consumer Financial Education was established in 1982 as a non-profit, public education organization. In November 2005, the Certified Identity Theft Risk Management Specialist™ (CITRMS) was added as the third, trademarked, one-of-a- kind training and certification curriculum. The CITRMS® program has been accepted for Continuing Education credits by the CFP Board of Standards, PACE, the International Association of Registered Financial Consultants, the Association of Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the National Association of Certified Credit Counselors and many state regulatory licensing agencies www.financial-education-icfe.org
2. The World's largest anti-fraud organization and premier provider of anti-fraud training and education. www.acfe.com
3. An international nonprofit organization which collects, exchanges, and teaches membership about financial fraud, fraud investigation, and fraud prevention methods. www.iafci.org
4. An international organization established to redefine the identity management field, serve the identity management professionals, increase identity risk awareness and provide identity risk management standards, guidelines, certifications and education. www.identitymanagementinstitute.org
CheckArmor Logo Printed on Checks
Checks that include CheckArmor restoration services will have the CheckArmor logo printed on the front.
If you suspect or know that you have been a victim of check fraud or identity fraud, please contact your financial institution immediately. After working with your financial institution to resolve the impact to your checking account, you may receive additional restoration services by contacting CheckArmor resolution specialists at 877-459-0050. Our specialists will follow the following steps to assist you.
Step One: Verify your eligibility for services by confirming that you have checks ordered through a financial institution that uses Harland Clarke as its check provider.
Step Two: CheckArmor resolution specialists are available to (but are not limited to) assist with:
- Notifying and requesting government-issued identification such as a state's driver's license, Social Security card or passport;
- Notifying the three national credit bureaus to place fraud alerts on customer's credit reports, and review such reports to identify evidence of the fraud or identity theft event;
- Notifying banks, credit card companies and merchants as directed by the customer to freeze or close any accounts compromised by or resulting from the fraud or identity theft event;
- Notifying the Federal Trade Commission and filing a complaint to report the identity theft event;
- Coordinating with credit bureaus, banks, credit card companies, government agencies and/or merchants.
- CheckArmor Resolution Services are available to purchasers of personal and business checks through a participating financial institution that uses Harland Clarke as its check provider.
- CheckArmor reserves the right to refuse or terminate the CheckArmor program if the check purchaser (or a person who is a joint account holder with purchaser, or a family member of purchaser)
- has committed fraud or other illegal acts with respect to an eligible check order or in connection with the request for resolution from CheckArmor,
- made untrue statements in connection with the request for resolution from CheckArmor or to law enforcement or to the relevant financial institution
- failed to fully cooperate with CheckArmor's efforts to provide the services to or on behalf of the purchaser
- failed to exercise ordinary care which substantially contributed to the occurrence of a forged or altered check
- entered into an agreement with the relevant financial institution that such financial institution will not be obligated to reimburse the account holder for forged or altered checks that are debited from the account holder's checking account.
- CheckArmor makes no warranties about the accuracy or completeness of data received from third parties obtained and utilized in connection with the services provided through the CheckArmor Program.
- CheckArmor does not apply to a check that bears a valid original endorsement but is secondarily fraudulently endorsed.
- CheckArmor does not apply to an unauthorized facsimile signature or endorsement applied through the use of a mechanical or electronic means.
- In no event will CheckArmor be liable for consequential, incidental, special, indirect, punitive, or exemplary damages to include without limitation loss of use, lost revenue, profits or goodwill, under any theory of tort, contract, indemnity, warranty, strict liability or negligence, to the purchaser of CheckArmor or any other third parties, even if CheckArmor knew or should have known of the possibility of such damages.
- CheckArmor will not be liable to purchasers of CheckArmor if CheckArmor is unable to perform the services or is delayed in performing its obligations due to failures, events or factors beyond its reasonable control.
- Other restrictions may apply in certain states. All terms and conditions are subject to applicable law and may be limited thereby.
- EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, THERE ARE NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE CheckArmor PROGRAM IS AVAILABLE ON AN "AS IS" BASIS ONLY.